What is Exercise Referral?
Exercise referral literally means when a medical professional, like a GP, refers a patient to a fitness programme. Although many GP’s will advise that you do exercise, a referral is a formal arrangement between the medical professional and the exercise programme, or instructor.
A typical exercise referral programme would consist of a 12 week programme, supervised by a fitness professional in a leisure centre normally ran by the local authority. The programme will be tailored to the needs of the individual with the main aim being to improve their health, possibly as part of healing an injury or illness.
The most common patients for exercise referral are those suffering from:
- Musculoskeletal conditions like Osteoarthritis, arthritis or long-term back pain
- Cardiovascular problems like high blood pressure
- Psychological issues like depression and stress
- Metabolic conditions like diabetes
Working as a qualified Exercise Referral Instructor is an opportunity to specialise in a niche area of fitness instructing. It offers a varied and rewarding job, working in a great environment with like-minded people and helping people dramatically improve their health.
Our Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral takes you through:
- The signs, symptoms and basic pathology of specific stable conditions
- The implications and effects of specific medications relating to those conditions
- How to plan, deliver, manage and evaluate a safe, effective and progressive adapted physical activity programme, personalised to individual clients needs and lifestyle.
- Principles of Nutrition to Physical Activity
Our course,which starts on April 28th, gets you qualified and confident to help clients with medical conditions. It is also the pre-requsisite to go onto any specialist level 4 qualification such as Strategies for Managing Low back Pain, Cardiac Rehab and Obesity and Diabetes qualifications.
If you would like more information on becoming an Exercise Referral Instructor, contact Claire for a no obligation chat or visit our course page here (https://www.ybfittraining.com/courses/diploma-in-exercise-referral/)